How Long Can Instagram Videos Be: A Complete Guide
If you are on Instagram, then it’s highly likely that you’ve been using the platform to post your favorite pictures. However, Instagram also lets you post videos, which allows you to better engage your audience. But if you’re new to Instagram videos, you might not be sure of how long they should be.
With the Instagram algorithm’s preference for shorter videos and the engagement that comes with longer, visually rich content on Reels and IGTV, it’s easy to get confused about the ideal Instagram video length.
So, how long can Instagram videos be? Well, there’s no simple answer. Here’s all you need to know.
Why Creating Instagram Videos Is Important
While Instagram photos are the most common format, Instagram video is quickly gaining popularity for a number of reasons. These include:
Generally, photos show better results when it comes to engagement, but engagement numbers for videos are increasing faster than photos.
With videos, you have the ability to convey a deeper, more complex message and share in-depth stories, which isn’t possible to do so with just a single image. So, whether you want to promote a product, raise awareness, or educate your audience about something, it’s better to do so with a video.
For Instagram’s algorithm, photos and videos weigh the same. However, with videos, people spend more time on your post. This is quite important because the Instagram algorithm considers relationships as one of the most influential factors when deciding what to show you on your feed.
What is the ideal Instagram video length?
As mentioned earlier, there is no straightforward answer to this. Instead, it depends on the kind of video you are making. The ideal length for videos made for your Instagram Feed, Live, Story, and IGTV differs. So, how long can Instagram videos be? Here’s a breakdown.
Tips for Best Instagram Feed Video
When it comes to making the best video for your Instagram Feed, some practices that can ensure the best results include:
- Instagram allows you to upload a video of a maximum of 4GB. Within this file size, make sure you upload a video with the highest resolution possible.
- Make sure you don’t cover over 20% of the video thumbnail with text. Instagram prefers photos over texts and ensures greater visibility.
- Make a habit of adding captions to your videos since many people will watch them on mute. Also, make sure you make your videos with this in mind. Your videos should be such that they make an impact even on small muted devices.
- Try placing your CTA (call to action) in the middle of the video. If you place it in the beginning, people won’t trust you enough to actually take action, and many people might not make it to the end of the video.
- Closely follow the technical requirements for videos provided by Instagram.
Tips for Instagram Story Video Length
When it comes to making videos for Instagram Story and the ideal Instagram Story video length, here are some tips that can help you enjoy better engagement:
- Make sure to include your location along with relevant hashtags in Story videos. These can help more people to find them.
- Post Story videos frequently and make sure they are relatively affordable and simple. Doing so keeps people engaged with your brand.
- Try posting videos at different times to determine when the majority of your audience is active.
- Also, include a URL or a countdown sticker in your videos. This creates excitement and anticipation and also directs traffic towards the relevant landing page.
- Sign up for Instagram Business and follow the analytics on your video to see how engagement can be further improved.
Tips for Instagram Live Videos
Live Videos can be up to 60 minutes long. However, to make sure you get the best results, it is best to keep the following tips in mind:
- Have a list of all the important points or a well-rehearsed script so that you convey all important messages regarding your brand effectively.
- Use Stories to promote the live broadcast beforehand. With increasing viewers, Instagram is more likely to recommend you to browsers on the Explore page.
- Create a mailing list by asking your followers to send in questions before your live video on a sign-up form posted on your website.
- Make use of Instagram Live to build up excitement around your business by giving teasers of upcoming events and product launches.
- Always do a quick practice run to test the visual and audio quality. You wouldn’t want something going wrong during your live session.
Tips for IGTV Videos
IGTV is an independent service that provides businesses with a new channel to show-off their creativity, increase their following, and show their products. Here are some tips for creating the most effective IGTV videos:
- Make sure to add relevant keywords to the description so that it’s easier for people to find your videos. You can also include hashtags and tag other accounts.
- Add links to your description that will redirect people to your webpage.
- Add a captivating one-minute preview of your video to your Instagram feed. It is also better to add a cover photo; since this will show up on the channel page, make sure it is catchy.
- Keep a close eye on the audience retention rate. Here, you can also see the drop-off graph, which is the point where people stopped watching your video. So, you can have a look at those points and improve your videos accordingly.
How Can I Post Longer Videos On My Instagram?
Instagram comes with its fair share of limits, which includes Instagram video limits. Instagram allows you to upload 3-60 second videos if you want to share them on your feed. When it comes to the Instagram Story limit, you only get 15 seconds per clip. The good news is, you can share longer videos in the following ways:
1. With a 3rd party app
You can post a long video on Instagram Stories as long as it is broken into clips of 15 seconds. Several third-party apps allow you to do so. Basically, such apps divide a longer clip into shorter 15-second clips and save them to your device’s camera roll. You can then individually share those videos one after the other to share the complete experience.
2. Make a live video
If what you want to record and share is happening in real-time, it is better to record a live video instead of recording and sharing the video later as an Instagram post. This will allow you to make a video of up to 60 minutes. Plus, your followers will have the option of replaying the video for 24 hours after you are done recording.
3. Upload numerous clips
There’s a 60-second limitation when it comes to video posts, but it doesn’t have to be one video only. Instagram on iOS allows you to create longer videos by stringing numerous clips together. To do so, go to the Library and select the first clip you wish to include. Then, hit Next. You can trim the clip if you want and tap the ‘+’ to add another clip.
How to Optimize Your Instagram Videos
When it comes to sharing and optimizing Instagram videos, there are a few things you can do. These include:
1. Upload an Instagram Video you Previously Recorded
While many people prefer shooting videos directly in the app, one approach that’s gaining more popularity recently is uploading a pre-recorded video from your gallery. You can also upload multiple videos to be shared as one video.
2. Auto publish video posts
You can schedule videos, and Instagram will publish them at the scheduled time. Simply upload the video, choose the time and date, and Instagram will automatically publish it at the scheduled time.
How to Determine the Ideal Video length for your Instagram page
Different Instagram video lengths work for different Instagram pages. To determine the length that best works for your page, you can monitor the engagement your videos get using Instagram Insights. To do that, here’s what you must do:
- Change your Instagram account to a business account to get access to Instagram Insights.
- Publish videos with different lengths for at least 30 days. The greater the time period, the more accurate the data will be.
- Once your test period ends, go to the “Content” tab on Instagram Insights and look at the posts that produce the greatest engagement.
- Notice the video length that generates the highest engagement and focus on making videos of that length. For instance, if Instagram Insights shows that 45-second videos generate the greatest engagement, then you should focus on making 45-second long videos.
Regardless of how long the videos are, one thing is for sure: it is important to use videos since they create great engagement.
What is the best time to post videos on Instagram?
To make sure your videos receive the maximum engagement, it is best to post them when most of the followers are online. To determine that, go to the “Audience” tab on Instagram Insights. Here, you can see the day and time when most of your followers are online.
How to track the performance of Instagram videos?
There is no one particular online video strategy that will work the best for you. Both your Instagram account and your audience are unique, so you’ll need to work out a strategy yourself. For this, make sure you track the engagement on your videos to see how well or how bad your videos are doing on social media. Keep an eye out for things like:
- Engagement: the percentage of followers that reacted and engaged with the post
- The ideal time to post: the time of day that ensures the best results
- Reach: the number of unique views your posts are getting
- Retention: the number of people watching your video till the very end.
If you have an Instagram business account, you can gain access to most of this data via the app only.
The Final Word
If you had been wondering how long can Instagram videos be, you now know. Make use of the information above, make sure to post when most of your followers are online, and you’ll notice your engagement and followers increase.