How to Change URL on YouTube Channel: Step-by-Step Guide
Switching your YouTube channel URL can be an important branding strategy. Whether you’ve outgrown your old moniker or are refining your channel’s focus, a URL change can make a significant impact. Let’s delve into why you might want to take this step, how to do it properly, and the things to watch out for.
How to Change URL on YouTube Channel (Quick Answer):
- Sign in to YouTube and go to the Advanced Settings section of your channel.
- Under settings, look for Your YouTube channel and click on View advanced settings.
- Scroll down to Channel URL and click on You’re eligible for a custom URL.
- Select the new custom URL you want to use.
Now let’s get into the nitty-gritty.
Table of Contents
- 1. Why Changing Your YouTube Channel URL Matters
- 2. Benefits of a Custom URL
- 3. Psychology of a Good URL
- 4. The Eligibility Criteria for Changing YouTube Channel URL
- 5. Why 100 Subscribers?
- 6. Importance of Account Age
- 7. Added Value of Channel Art
- 8. Step-by-Step Guide to Changing Your YouTube URL
- 9. Troubleshooting Common Issues
- 10. URL is Already Taken
- 11. Unable to Change URL
- 12. FAQ Section
- 13. Can I revert to my old YouTube channel URL after changing it?
- 14. Is there a limit on how many times I can change my YouTube channel URL?
- 15. Do I lose my subscribers if I change my YouTube channel URL?
- 16. Will my old URL redirect to the new one?
- 17. Can I pick any name for my new URL?
- 18. Conclusion
Why Changing Your YouTube Channel URL Matters
Before we dive into the step-by-step guide, let’s briefly discuss why changing can be a game-changing move. A custom URL can make your channel easier to remember, more accessible, and even more discoverable on search engines.
Benefits of a Custom URL
Enhanced Branding: A custom URL reflects your brand better.
Ease of Sharing: Simpler and cleaner URLs are easier to share.
SEO Benefits: A keyword-rich URL can enhance your channel’s searchability.
Psychology of a Good URL
A URL isn’t just a web address; it’s the first impression viewers have of your content. Having a URL that clearly represents your brand can:
Increase Trust: A clean, straightforward URL often appears more trustworthy.
Enhance Memorability: A unique but simple URL is easier to remember, thus increasing return visits.
The Eligibility Criteria for Changing YouTube Channel URL
It’s essential to ensure that you meet YouTube’s criteria for changing your channel URL. Here’s more insight into each requirement:
Why 100 Subscribers?
YouTube likely set this requirement to ensure that only channels with a modest following can claim a custom URL, reducing the likelihood of URL squatting.
Importance of Account Age
A 30-day minimum age requirement ensures that users have some experience navigating YouTube’s interface and have invested in their channel to some extent.
Added Value of Channel Art
Having channel art and a description adds credibility to your channel. It shows YouTube—and your viewers—that your channel is fully developed and more than just a passing fancy.
Step-by-Step Guide to Changing Your YouTube URL
Now that we’ve understood the why and the when, let’s focus on the how.
- Navigate to YouTube Studio
- Sign In: Log into your YouTube account.
- YouTube Studio: Access YouTube Studio from the top-right menu.
- Access Advanced Settings
- Settings: Click on ‘Settings’ on the left-hand menu.
- Channel: From the pop-up window, select the ‘Channel’ tab.
- Advanced Settings: Under the ‘Channel’ tab, find and click on ‘Advanced Settings’.
- Perform the URL Change
- Scroll down and you will find the ‘You’re eligible for a custom URL’ option.
- Choose URL: Input your desired URL.
Each step is integral to ensuring the URL change is successful and aligns with your branding strategy.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
While the process is mostly smooth, you might encounter some bumps along the way.
URL is Already Taken
If the URL you desire is already taken, you might need to get creative. Use variants or add extra characters to make it unique.
Unable to Change URL
If you’re facing issues in changing the URL, ensure you meet all eligibility criteria and try the process again after some time.
Can I revert to my old YouTube channel URL after changing it?
No, once you’ve changed your YouTube channel URL, reverting back to the old URL is not possible.
Is there a limit on how many times I can change my YouTube channel URL?
Yes, you can change your YouTube channel URL up to 3 times in a 12-month period.
Do I lose my subscribers if I change my YouTube channel URL?
No, changing your YouTube channel URL has no effect on your subscriber count.
Will my old URL redirect to the new one?
Yes, your old URL will redirect to the new one for some time, but it’s advised to update the URL wherever you’ve shared it.
Can I pick any name for my new URL?
Your new URL must align with YouTube’s custom URL policies, which includes not having any inappropriate language or impersonating another brand.
Changing your YouTube channel URL is a significant step that shouldn’t be taken lightly. It affects not just how people find you, but also how they perceive your brand. Always remember to abide by YouTube’s policies and guidelines, back up your data, and ensure you meet all eligibility requirements before making the change.
By doing so, you can look forward to a more memorable, searchable, and effectively branded YouTube channel that’s ready for greater success.